Thursday, November 4, 2010

Politics

I have always been interested in politics.  Local politics was frequently discussed in my house when I was growing up.  My mother worked for many years in the mayor’s office and my Dad was an armchair pundit.   I wasn’t so much engrossed by the issues as I was the game of politics and the characters involved.  It taught me that for some people, POWER and access was just as important, if not more so, than money.  Because believe me, you aren’t getting rich off of being in local government in Jackson, MS…………….well not by government alone.

Which is why the political events over the last couple of years have been so fascinating to me.  Politics is now telephone/chit – chat conversation with my girlfriends.  Facebook statuses are filled with commentary and opinions on the political landscape and even Hollywood has become vocal about political issues.  They call it a “movement” a “surge”.   I call it reality. Some leaders became complacent because when the system was working for them, they didn’t feel the need to create a better system for everyone else. As a result, portions of the population suffered in near silence until it was brought mainstream, and a few people worked to change it.   Now the system isn’t working for anybody and we are all up in arms.  Maybe this pain will bring about some solutions for our transforming society; Transforming because we are entering a new economic era.  The growth industries of the future will be scientific.   We can no longer hold steadfast to the financial, health and education systems or even the life expectations of what we have been taught.  They will have to be redesigned with what the future will truly look like.  Here are a few things to ponder:
More than likely, we will not retire early                                                                                        When the United States passed a social security law, the avg. life expectancy was only 61.7 years; meaning if you were lucky to live past the life expectancy, you deserved a couple of years off J   With better quality of life and expectancy at 80 now, the social security system is not built to sustain you comfortably for 20+ yrs. I plan on becoming a greeter at Wal-Mart or work at the DMV
You will average 7 jobs/companies in your career                                                                               my Dad was a CPA and worked for the same employer his entire career; I’m on company number 2 and still can’t describe what I do
Facebook is the 3rd largest population in the world                                                                     Justin Timberlake did a great job in “Social Network”
Some jobs will never come back                                                                                                                                                            a computer stole my job, that heifer!
People under the age of 40 don’t check their mailbox every day                                                                                                                                                              The U.S. postal service is in the red and petitioned Congress to stop Saturday deliveries to help mitigate costs;  I don’t think I would notice ~ I only check my mailbox 2x a week at most
Flexible Work Arrangements/Job Sharing will not be so uncommon                                                                                                                                            maybe I can go back to working in my pajamas;   I was more productive

2 comments:

  1. i wouldn't check my mailbox nearly as often if not for netflix.

    dude, i'm on company #3, and i think i'm very likely not to spend more than 5 years at any given one. i get an itch at the 3 year mark. so in my lifetime, i'll have, what, 15 different jobs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know right! Netflix is the reason I even remember to go to my mailbox :)

    ReplyDelete