Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Thankful for Ponnie & Hester

This weekend I will make the trek to Tuskegee Alabama for the Harper Family reunion.  Even though I talk about how crazy & country my family is, I absolutely love our family reunion.  It is always good to get together and fellowship.  But my favorite part, and don't tell my cousin Terrence, is our family history session.  And the reason I say not to tell him is because the speech may get longer..... But anyway, every year I am in awe and amazement at the strength, love and resilience my ancestors possessed.  MY people built Auburn, Alabama.....the university and all.  I think about how my grandparents Lewis and Nanci Harper, with very little formal education, made sure all five of their kids graduated from college.  (they personally kept Tuskegee University in business : ) They emphasized education, staying married and not going to jail......and all their kids followed suit...go figure :)

While I am excited and looking forward to seeing my family and ready to go fishing on Herbert's land, there are a few things I am NOT looking forward to.... So you know I had to put them in a Top 10!!! 

1.  People asking me if I have a boyfriend, if I am dating, what am I waiting on, etc...... just don't worry about me. IF I ever marry, all will be invited to witness the miracle.  LOL!
2.  People asking me if I have gained weight.....heifer, yeah. Now what?  LOL!
3.  A DRY bbq......seriously, can we at least get some daiquiris??
4. The family meeting.......if you want it to change, plan the reunion yourself.
5. The lecture about leaving the reunion before church service......I'm sorry, but I need to be back home by 6
6. How HOT its going to be on the land........Jesus be an fence and a fan!
7. The family talent show....take that back, that's going to be the highlight....need to hear 'ol boy's song again
8. The meal schedule...are we catching our own fish for the fish fry?
9. Walking the mall, or anywhere else, with those Harper fam tshirts........just too much
10. the cost to board my dog.....my goodness, they raised these prices!!!

1 comment:

  1. my name is Maurice Harper i live in Richmond IN my grandfather on my mother side name is Grover Cleveland Harper were just wondering if you heard of him or if their was any relation my email is BOJAY9@GMAIL.COM hope to hear from you soon.
    from Harpers up north

    ReplyDelete