Monday, January 9, 2012

Managing Brand YOU

So as I am preparing to create my vision board for 2012, one of the phrases that hit me for the year is "Managing Brand YOU".  As a sales and marketing professional, I am surrounded by campaigns to get more shoppers in the store, to get shoppers to buy this or that product, to get shoppers to buy just one more time, etc...Everyday I am challenged to develop and execute programs that drive sales for the BRAND.  But how does that apply to my everyday life?  People have a perception and image of me...so what am I doing to mold and create that?  What do people think and say about me? 

So to get myself in line, I take the same principles used for branding a national product and apply it to myself.  Let's compare:

1)Focus - Don't try to be all thing to all people.  Nike has a really good focus area - athletic wear with primary core being tennis shoes.  Although you saw it all over facebook, Nike is not really trying to make high heeled shoes, or fashion dresses. They are not into corporate wear, just athletic goods.  So I have to take the same approach.  I can't be every one's best friend, I can't treat all my friends the same, I can't spend time with everyone. I must focus on my core strengths, the things that I do well and the people that I vibe with most and focus my time, efforts and energy there.

2) Communicate with consistency.  You know you're hearing a Pringles commercial whenever you hear, "Once you pop, you can't stop" or if you hear that giggle, you know its Pillsbury  dough boy.  Well, I must do the same thing.  You should get the same me whenever you see me.  Now, I don't fit in a box, but the core will still be the same.  That I'm laid back, friendly, like to laugh, and will listen.

3) Differentiate with passion & purpose.  BMW is the ultimate driving experience.  EVERYBODY knows when you see red bottoms, that they are Louboutins.  You will pay for these experiences, but you KNOW that this is top quality, lasting and always in style and makes a statement.  That's the type of brand I want to be.  That there's something just a little extra in me, but its worth it.

4)Position yourself or others will position you   Does anybody remember what happened to Borders?  They became irrelevant.  As things were changing, they never did anything to change with the times. They got booted out of the market.  Were they any different from Barnes & Nobles? No, but B&N didn't allow the trend of ecommerce to beat them...they became more sophisticated & expansive with their online offerings and Borders did nothing.  I MUST place myself in situations with good opportunities for growth, around positive and focused people, and have a clear vision of what I want to accomplish.  Because if I don't, others will sap me dry and leave nothing for myself. 

Just some thoughts for today.  My vision board will be done pretty soon.  Excited for my 2012 goals : )

No comments:

Post a Comment