Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cinco de Mayo

  Cinco de Mayo is holiday time, holiday time, holiday time. Cinco de Mayo is holiday time in MEXICO!!!    Every since that episode of Girlfriends where Joan dresses up as a Mexican peasant girl/General Zaragoza  and performs a song and dance for residents at a senior citizens home, I have been a fan of Cinco de Mayo.  Honestly, I love any reason to celebrate and a holiday where the margarita is the keystone beverage, I am ALL in.  So this year I decided to do a 3 day celebration.  Here is how I celebrated:
Thursday – “Happy Hour w/Friends Fiesta”    After work a group of friends and I gathered at Sullivan’s, a popular spot in Charlotte, and sat out on the patio to enjoy the specials.  I HIGHLY recommend the salmon salad & Red Over Heels martini.  The mix of fresh field greens, grilled salmon, feta or bleu cheese, candied pecans and vinaigrette dressing topped off with a refreshingly sweet martini for the total price of $15 cannot be beat.  They have a great menu on Thursdays at the bar or on the patio and half price martinis all night.  Other popular choices are the burger and bleu cheese meatballs.  They feature a live jazz band, have a spacious covered patio and great atmosphere.  I would suggest early arrival to secure a table because it gets crowded fast.  Or you could take the late shift once the crowd thins a little.  Just be a little patient with the wait staff…..It gets very busy out there. 
This particular Thursday was a lite night.  My usual “friends” were there…..Rick Ross look alike who tried to kidnap me a few months back, old man who pledged with my uncle, and my buddy from “Babunda”.  Now I have a question:  I am not a geography scholar, only took a semester of it in high school and am terrible at reading a map.  But on what atlas is 20 minutes outside of Birmingham considered lower Alabama?  And if that is where you are from, wouldn’t you know that’s not considered lower Alabama?  See, this is the foolishness that I run across on a daily basis.  Why was he even talking to us?  You know what, I can answer that question…He was talking to us because we were a table full of beautiful women.  The real question is, why was I responding to him?  I know better.

Friday – “Girls Night In Margarita Madness”      Friday night I hosted a small gathering of girlfriends for dinner.  The menu consisted of spiced chicken, mango habanero fish and beef tacos. For appetizers I served stuffed jalapenos and chips with queso.  Total prep time took 45 minutes.  Mexican is always a great option for a quick after work meal.  Plenty of fresh vegetables and sauteed meat make it a perfect choice for entertaining a large group of people.  Add margaritas and wine to that, and you are guaranteed a good time.  And with these ladies, the conversation is always lively and knowledgeable.  I learned 5 things Friday night:
1)Tuck & Roll is always 2nd move after being pushed into a fight  2)You have to throw down a challenge for men with thick lips   3)Hit  ‘em in the face! Hit ‘em in the face   4)Once a group of men co-sign a bad idea, reason and common sense disappear    5)You get a nickname until you are verified
Saturday – “Cinco de Mayo”   We attended a day party at Club Phoenix and had a BLAST!!!  I don’t know what she put in those margaritas, but they were delicious J  I like day parties because it is a much more laid back and relaxed atmosphere as opposed to parties at night.  You don’t have to be so dressed up or uptight.  But it does bring up the question, what is appropriate day party attire?  Actually anything goes!!  I would leave the party dresses at home, but jeans and cute tops, maxi and sundresses, and hemmed shorts are all winners.  The party dresses are just a bit too much during the day.  And white shoes are off limits.  PERIOD.  I’m not talking about tennis shoes or sandals, but any other type of white shoes = country.

No comments:

Post a Comment