Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I'm Scared to Commit........to a paint color

Choosing the right paint colors for your home can be a challenging and seemingly permanent task.  I know….It took me 3 yrs to pick out the color scheme for my townhome.  But I have learned a few tips and steps to help anyone else who may also be scared to “commit”
My first piece of advice is to take a picture of the room you are painting to bring with you as you are looking at paint samples.  Pick an underlying color from the furniture in the room or focus on a bold color in the pattern.  If the colors and fabrics in the room are predominately one color, try a contrasting color for the wall. 
My second piece of advice is to look at the paint color in natural light.  Colors can have a vastly different effect first thing in the morning than when you come home in the evening.  Decide the “temperature” of the room.  Orange, red and pinks are considered warm colors while violets, greens and blues are cool.
My third piece of advice is neutral does not always equal white.  Gold, silver and brown tones can add a sense of warmth and coordinate with everything.  Also, choose 2 to 3 neutral tones for your home to alternate colors for different rooms.
My last piece of advice is that paint is not permanent.  Try painting just one wall of a room for contrast. Experiment with a bold color you love.  If you don’t like it, choose again!

No comments:

Post a Comment