Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Curious Case of the Cranky Trash Compactor

Why does everything seem to break down when you are expecting guests?  Well that is exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago.  I was preparing dinner for a small group of friends and my trash compactor went out.  You would think that once I noticed it was not operating properly, I would stop running water down the drain causing a back-up….But alas, I did not.  As the issue became progressively worse, I knew I had to handle the issue immediately.  Not only because it ruined the décor, but also because it was beginning to smell, and I did not want that at my dinner table.  I called a handyman to get a quote on an emergency fix and he told me around $60.  Are you kidding me?  New trash compactors only cost $80 to $120, so I was definitely not going to pay that much for a fix.  What is a diva to do?   DO IT ALL.  Here is a step by step process on how to fix a garbage disposal without all the garbage:
1.     Go to circuit breaker and cut off disposal system.  If it is not marked, just try a few switches until you locate the correct one.  Nothing will be harmed.
2.     Run water and vinegar down the drain to help loosen the clog or waste. Use ¼ to ½ cup of vinegar and run slowly.  Let stand for three minutes.
3.     Open the cabinet under the sink where the disposal is housed.  Under the disposal, there is a red reset button.  Press this button.
4.     Return to circuit breaker and power disposal back on.  Check to see if this has corrected the problem.
5.     If it still isn’t working properly, power the disposal system back off at the circuit breaker. This most likely means that something is obstructing the blades from turning.
6.     To clear the blades, use the garbage disposal wrench that comes with the machine.  If you do not know where or what that is no worries.  You can also use a simple Allen wrench.  At the bottom of the disposal, near the reset button, there is an opening.  Insert the wrench in the hole and turn.  Keep doing this until you can turn with ease.
7.     Return to circuit breaker and power disposal back on.  This should fix the problem and you can return to cooking with ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment